Barcelona are set to wear their new third strip for the first time during their Champions League clash with Borussia Mönchengladbach on Wednesday night.
A nod to the iconic away shirts of the 1990s
The new shirt is a shade of mint green with teal – as are the shorts and socks – with very thin horizontal black lines, a design which Nike says will stand out under the floodlights of evening games. The choice of light green draws inspiration from a number of Barcelona’s teal away shirts manufactured by Kappa during the 1990s before the club signed a contract with Nike in 1998.
The colour has continued to be used regularly; Nike produced a teal away shirt as recently as 2010-11.
A shirt made from recycled materials
Particularly notable is the fact that the shirt is manufactured from recycled materials. Each shirt is made from 16 recycled plastic bottles, something that Nike says forms part of its commitment to sustainable innovation.
The shirt also features a number of nods to Barcelona’s rich heritage, including a small Catalan flag on the back of the collar and the words ‘Un Crit Valent’ – a valiant cry – from the club’s anthem stitched into the cuffs.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS What businesses accept payment with cryptocurrencies in the US?
- NFL How many times have the Los Angeles Rams reached the NFC NFL Conference Finals?
- NFL How many times have Cincinnati Bengals reached AFC Championship Game?
- SOCCER Cristiano Ronaldo complains about market valuation and asks for an explanation
- BARCELONA Barcelona and Spotify seal deal for Camp Nou naming rights
- 'I thought I was dreaming!' – Warriors star Wiggins reacts to All-Star selection