Ex-Bayern Munich coach Ottmar Hitzfeld has declared that Atlético Madrid wouldn't be a Champions League side were it not for boss Diego Simeone.
Bayern visit Atlético in the group stages of Europe's top club competition tonight (20:45 CEST), having lost out to Los Rojiblancos in last season's semi-finals.
Simeone the difference at Atlético
Hitzfeld, who led Bayern to Champions League glory in 2001, told Sport1: "Simeone is the leader and Atletico have done exceptionally under him."
And he added: "Without Simeone, Atlético wouldn't be in the top four in LaLiga."
Bayern face "very tough" assignment
Looking ahead to the sides' clash in Madrid, the 67-year-old said: "Bayern have a very tough match against Atlético. They were beaten by them last year, so they have a score to settle."
Recommended in English
- NFL Tom Brady 'remains noncommittal’ about playing in 2022; Bruce Arians remains hopeful
- NFL What teams are left in the NFL playoffs?
- Real Madrid Benzema: "Madrid is everything to me, I feel at home here"
- SERIE A Vlahovic: Fiorentina say no offers for in-demand striker
- BAYERN MUNICH Bayern want Lewandowski and Neuer to end careers in Munich
- NFL Buccaneers' Tom Brady picked up first career unsportsmanlike conduct penalty vs Rams