Pro-independence flags fill the Camp Nou once again
The Champions League anthem was also roundly booed once again, part of a long-running and ongoing protest against UEFA.
In what has become almost a tradition on Champions League nights the Camp Nou stands were filled with estaladas – pro-Catalan independence flags – and the Champions League anthem roundly booed ahead of Barcelona’s tie with Manchester City.
Pro-independence estelada flags fill the Camp Nou
Over 30,000 flags were distributed by a number of pro-independence groups including the National Catalan Assembly (ANC) as part of an ongoing protest against UEFA’s decision to fine Barcelona €30,000 back in 2015 for displaying esteladas during the Champions League final against Juventus in Berlin.
The club were fined a further €150,000 over the course of last season after separatist flags were flown during Champions League games at the Camp Nou, fines which the club said it considered “totally unjust and… opposed to the exercise of freedom of expression.”
Solidarity with pro-independence leaders
Wednesday’s flag display also had another objective: to show support to Carme Forcadell, President of the Catalan Parliament, after she was accused by the region’s public prosecutor of “openly disobeying authority” for allowing a debate and vote on a road map to Catalan independence deemed unconstitutional by the Spanish constitution. Forcadell was spotted in the presidential box ahead of the game, along with other pro-independence politicians such as regional president Carles Puigdemont.
The Champions League anthem was also booed again
The flags were, as usual, accompanied by boisterous booing of the Champions League anthem, an act which will no doubt be noted by the UEFA delegate in attendance Metin Kazancioglu in his post-match report.
Barcelona are currently awaiting the ruling from the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) over the display of esteladas during the opening Champions League fixture of the season against Celtic.
Te recomendamos en English
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Can Child Tax Credit payments affect my tax return in 2022?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Who is Laurel Hubbard? Meet the transgender athlete breaking barriers at the Tokyo Olympics
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: JuVaughn Harrison, Jennifer Gadirova | medal count, results, today 1 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK California Golden State stimulus check: when is the new payment coming?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August