Carrasco edges Atleti past resilient Rostov
A goal from the in-form Belgian international was enough to give Diego Simeone's men the three points in a hard-fought game.
Atlético Madrid laboured to a 1-0 win over Rostov on Wednesday evening to maintain their 100 percent record in this season's Champions League.The impressive Yannick Carrasco scored the only goal in the second half to hand Rostov their first home defeat in 26 games.
Atlético were favourites but it wasn't plain sailing
Atlético were hot favourites and should have taken the lead after just 90 seconds. Soslan Dzhanaev could only weakly parry Carrasco's free kick straight into the path of Angel Correa who screwed his shot wide. Dzhanaev made up for his error by saving well from Carrasco and midway through the half Correra wastefully blazed over from close range.
LaLiga leaders Atletico continued to dominate in the second half but they had to wait until just before the hour mark until they had a decent effort on goal as Fernando Torres's header went inches over the bar.
In-form Carrasco the difference
The breakthrough came soon afterwards as Rostov failed to cut out Juanfran's cross and the ball dropped invitingly for Carrasco, who drilled a fierce left-foot shot past Dzhanaev. The Rostov goalkeeper made another fine save to deny Antoine Griezmann late on as the visitors held on for a deserved victory.
Recommended in English
- NFL Joe Burrow: Winning playoff games the standard to meet for the Bengals
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers' record against the 49ers?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid's big question: how to fit Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappé into the same team
- US NEWS Which fast food restaurants accept EBT food stamps?
- 2022 TAX SEASON Are the tax brackets the same if I am retired?
- NFL Titans could activate RB Derrick Henry ahead of Bengals clash