Piqué and Jordi Alba ruled out of return Manchester City clash
Both limped off during Barcelona's win over Manchester City on Wednesday night. Piqué will miss three weeks, Alba two.
Barcelona may have run out comfortable 4-0 winners over Manchester City in the Champions League on Wednesday night but the match cost them dearly.
Gerard Piqué and Jordi Alba, two of Luis Enrique’s first-choice defenders along the backline, limped off injured during the first half, replaced by Lucas Digne and Jeremy Mathieu.
Pique out for three weeks
Piqué was injured in a challenge by international teammate David Silva and has, according to a club statement, “sprained the external lateral ligament in the right ankle. The estimated time he will be out will be three weeks.” It’s unlikely that Luis Enrique will be able to count on Piqué until after the next international break in November.
Alba will miss two weeks of action
The club say that Alba will be out for “approximately two weeks” having “strained the hamstring in his left leg.”
Both are set to miss league fixtures against Valencia and Granada, the return match with Manchester City at the Etihad and the Catalan Super Cup against Espanyol on the 26th October. Piqué is also set to miss Barcelona’s trip to Sevilla on the 6th November.
Recommended in English
- NFL “Nobody is satisfied here” Brady and the Bucs are ready to take on the Eagles!
- NFL NFL: Rams' Weddle set for stunning playoff comeback against Cardinals
- NFL Tom Brady vs Jalen Hurts: wild card appearances, stats and records
- USMNT Juventus boss praises USMNT midfielder Weston McKennie
- AFCON 2022 Khazri nets brace as Eagles of Carthage soar past the Lions
- AFCON 2022 Late blunder and Kessie miss cost Elephants