Marcelo ignites Real strikeforce: 11 goals since his return
The Brazilian's return from inujury sharpened Madrid's goal threat and helped them recover from their temporary slump.
Marcelo's return from injury has seen Madrid's goal threat rise. Against Betis and Legia Los Blancos bagged eleven goals, two of which were scored by the left-back.
The Brazilian was sorely missed
When Marcelo limped off against Villarreal, Madrid's goalscoring prowess limped off with him. Zidane's men went from averaging 2.4 goals a game (not including the Osasuna game in which Mercelo didn't play), to 1.5... Real's run of consective wins stalled at 16 as they were unable to beat Guardiola's record and Eibar came away from the Bernabéu with a draw, their first ever point at Madrid.
We can be heroes
After Madrid's resounding 5-1 over Legia in the Champions League the Brazilian attempted to deflect the plaudits away from himself: "I'm not the hero; I just try to play my football and help Madrid." A hero or not, Marcelo's impact on this team is not up for discussion, particularly when his natural replacement is Coentrao, who continues his recovery from a mysterious injury.
The left-back will be a sure-fire starter against Athletic. As things stand, he has two goals so far and if he continues in the same vein of form he could better his highest goal tally in a Madrid shirt - in the 2010-11 season he managed five goals, accompanied by six assists.
*Update 23 de octubre de 2016
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Is a government shutdown going to happen at the end of the month?
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Football heading for 30-minute halves and stopped clock
- NFL Houston's Mills will be fourth rookie QB to start this year
- NFL Tom Brady admits he wants to be paid in Bitcoin
- SOCCER UEFA criticises FIFA for lack of consultation on World Cup proposals
- JUVENTUS Juventus player Arthur Melo involved in car crash