Mathieu adds to Barcelona's injury woes, out for three weeks
The Frenchman injured his calf during Tuesday's Catalan Super Cup defeat to Espanyol, leaving Luis Enrique with even fewer options at the back.
Mathieu out for three weeks
Jérémy Mathieu spent part of his day off on Wednesday morning undergoing medical tests to determine the extent of the injury he picked up in Barcelona’s Catalan Super Cup loss to Espanyol on Tuesday night.
The Frenchman, who recently retired from international duty to concentrate on his club career, has injured his right calf and will be out for the next three weeks. The treatment room at the Camp Nou is filling up, with Mathieu joining first-choice defenders Gerard Piqué and Jordi Alba on the sidelines.
Piqué and Alba also out injured
Piqué picked up an ankle injury during Barcelona’s 4-0 win over Manchester City and is set to miss three weeks of action, while Alba, who also limped off in the first half against City, is out for two after tweaking his hamstring.
Luis Enrique’s options at the back are limited to Sergi Roberto, Javier Mascherano, Samuel Umtiti and Lucas Digne until the next international break in November. Barcelona are scheduled to face Granada and Sevilla in the league as well as Manchester City in the Champions League before then.
Te recomendamos en English
- US ELECTIONS 2020 What is a 'contingent election' and what happens if Biden-Trump vote is tied?
- UNITED STATES USA election live online: Trump - Biden, coronavirus, stimulus checks, updates, breaking news
- US Election 2020 Electoral College map: which states have the most electors?
- USA election 2020 USA election 2020: where do I vote?
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: US coronavirus relief bill update
- US NEWS Will be there Black Friday in 2020 and when could it be?