Atlético will decide on Monday whether to appeal against Stefan Savic’s sending off during the 4-2 win over Málaga for a second bookable offence in order to avoid the prospect of the Montenegro international serving a one-match ban. Diego Simeone's side are already without the injured José Giménez and Augusto Fernández.
Atlético cards in La Liga
Player Fouls Yellows Reds Games
Savic was shown a second yellow in the 59th minute when the defender appeared to involuntarily bring down Málaga midfielder Chory Castro, slipping as he ran to intercept the Uruguayan. Replays are inconclusive as to whether the contact between the players was sufficient to floor Castro.
Two yellows and a red in four tackles
The Atlético defender boasts a curious statistic this season: in nine Liga games Savic has committed just four fouls but been booked twice and sent off once. His dismissal was the second for the side in as many games, with Koke getting his marching orders in last week’s 1-0 loss in Sevilla.
Recommended in English
- TENNIS Osaka gives up AO crown: 'This is the biggest step, even though I lost'
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Nothing quite beats single leg cup football
- NFL NFL playoffs: Rams must score big to beat Brady and Bucs, says Stafford
- PREMIER LEAGUE Chelsea under Thomas Tuchel: a year on
- QATAR 2022 World Cup Qatar 2022, African Qualifiers play-off draw: how and where to watch, times, TV, online