Álvaro Tejero: the Castilla utility man set for Champions League action
Álvaro Tejero was one of Zidane's most trusted players during his time as Castilla coach. So, after his call up for the Legia game, what else is there to know about the Real Madrid youngster?
Álvaro Tejero is the surprise inclusion in Zinedine Zidane’s squad to face Legia Warsaw in Poland on Wednesday night.
The Frenchman knows the 20-year old defender well from his time as Castilla coach; he was a regular starter for Zidane in the reserve side.
Tejero’s versatility – he’s usually a right back but has also been deployed in both central defence and midfield – allows him to play practically anywhere on the field.
When Zidane was in charge of Castilla last season, Tejero only missed 12 minutes of action, and was later only absent for one game under Ramis due to suspension.
Copa del Rey appearance
If Tejero does make an appearance against Legia, it won’t be his first for Real Madrid however. Rafa Benitez put him in his squad for the Copa del Rey win over Cádiz last season after which Los Blancos were subsequently banned from the competition for fielding the ineligible Denis Cherysev. Tejero came on in 88th minute of that game, replacing Pepe.
In March, Tejero was called up to a LaLiga squad for the first time for the match versus Levante, but didn’t make an appearance that time around.
Zidane also brought Tejero – along with a group of 11 other Castilla players – on Real Madrid’s preseason tour to North America in the summer, and came on as a substitute against Bayern, PSG and Chelsea.
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS Gonzalo Higuaín returned to the MLS Team of the Week
- LALIGA SANTANDER Coutinho reaches 100, but Barcelona won't pay Liverpool variable
- SOCCER | BARCELONA Koeman: Clasico Barcelona fans incident reflects "social issues"
- NBA | BULLS Bulls 'want to win now' after following in Michael Jordan's footsteps with 4-0 start
- MLB When was the last time the Astros and Braves won the World Series?
- WORLD SERIES Who are the MLB World Series winners by year?