Celtic boss Rodgers reticent on free agent Steven Gerrard
Celtic, Newcastle and even his former club Liverpool have been mentioned as a possible January destination for the 36-year-old midfielder.
Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers has denied that the club might be interested in bringing Steven Gerrard on board in January's transfer window.
Gerrard, 36, is a free agent after calling time on a far-to-middling, 18-month stint at Los Angeles Galaxy on Tuesday. According to the betting houses in the UK, Celtic are the favourites to sign the player, followed by Rafa Benítez's Newcastle - the midfielder having previously worked under both coaches at Liverpool.
But Rodgers responded coyly when quizzed about Gerrard in Wednesday's press conference. "I never speculate or speak about players coming into the club. I never have done and don't intend to start now - that will always remain private", he said. "The only thing I would say with regards to Steven, he has been an incredible player. I had him for a number of years at Liverpool and he was absolutely brilliant with me".
The Northern Irishman went on to add: "As a young manager going into such a great club, having the captain and real senior player there, to be able to work closely together with him and learn about the club and work together on the field was fantastic. He decided to go to America and I'm sure he has had a good spell there. Steven will sit down now and come back and decide what he wants to do. In terms of the speculation, I'm not sure where it's come from. But players coming into the club will always remain private - we always keep our business behind closed doors".
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- Stimulus Checks Second $600 Golden State stimulus check: when will I receive it and how to track
- US NEWS California stimulus check: when will the payments arrive and who qualifies?
- PSG Lionel Messi's PSG contract details revealed
- Soccer Pele in hospital: daughter says he's recovering well
- MLB MLB results: Los Angeles Dodgers beaten by Cincinnati Reds