Cilic beats Delbonis to give Croatia lead in Davis Cup final
The world number six required five sets to see off the 41st-ranked Argentinean as Croatia took an early lead in Zagreb.
Marin Cilic beat Federico Delbonis 6-3 7-5 3-6 1-6 6-2 in an epic tussle in the opening singles rubber to give hosts Croatia a 1-0 lead over Argentina in the Davis Cup final on Friday.
Maradona lends Argentina a hand
Several thousand passionate away fans led by the Argentina’s World Cup-winning legend Diego Maradona cheered on their team in a packed Zagreb Arena but ultimately Delbonis succumbed to a player ranked 35 places higher.
Roared on by an equally fervent home crowd, world number six Cilic rained down a barrage of aces and service winners in the opening set, having broken Delbonis in the fourth game to edge ahead.
Cilic broke again in the 11th game of the second set and held serve to take a commanding 2-0 lead before Delbonis hauled himself back into the match.
The 41st-ranked Argentine saved three break points in the seventh game of the third set and claimed it with a searing forehand winner.
He could not miss in the fourth, racing through the set with a barrage of spectacular shots against a subdued Cilic.
The resurgent Croatian found another gear in the fifth set, however, breaking Delbonis in the second game and again in the seventh before he closed out the match in three hours and 30 minutes.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Ledecky going for gold, medal count, results, today 28 July
- Olympic Games Why are the 2021 Olympic Games called Tokyo 2020?
- OLYMPIC GAMES When are the 100m Olympic finals taking place?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles confirms she will be back for Team USA at the Games
- NEW YORK CITY Which New York City public pools are open for summer 2021?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA: why is the CDC recommending that vaccinated people wear masks indoors?