Madrid to play Leicester, Monaco, Juventus, Arsenal, or Napoli
Sevilla have the same potential opponents except Juventus. Both avoid Spanish separated Atlético and Barça as well as Bayern Munich, Manchester City and PSG. Juventus-Real Madrid live
After their 2-2 draw with Borussia Dortmund on a pleasant Wednesday evening at the Bernabéu, Real Madrid ended the group phase in second place, behind their German opponents. This leaves them as a surprise package for those teams that finished top of their group and were hoping for an easier draw. With all the games now played, the Champions League draw on Monday 12 December, will see Madrid, Bayern Munich, Manchester City and French champions, PSG, in pot two.
The challenge ahead for the Spanish teams
The potential opponents in the last-16 for the current Liga leaders will be: Juventus, Leicester, Arsenal, Napoli and Monaco. Sevilla, who also finished second behind the Italian giants in Group H, have the same teams to think about although swap the threat of Juventus with Dortmund.
Barcelona topped their group and as one of the perennial favourites for the title may be faced with a harder than usual last-16 opposition. They could face PSG or the might of Ancelotti's Bayern Munich as well as Benfica, Bayer Leverkusen and Porto.
Atleti have a similar prospect as Barça after pipping Bayern to the top spot in their group and so will avoid the Germans for Manchester City as one of the more dangerous challenges.
In terms of working out the probabilities of who they are likely to be drawn against, we turn to the man with his finger on the data pulse, Mister Chip:
Recommended in English
- THE GAME AWARDS The Game Awards 2021: times, stream, how to watch it online and what to expect
- THE GAME AWARDS The Game Awards 2021: list of nominees and the 6 GOTY contenders
- NFL LA Rams' WR Mike Williams latest to be put on covid-19 list
- EUROPA LEAGUE Have Barcelona ever played and won in the Europa League?
- GOLF When will Tiger Woods return to the PGA Tour?
- NFL NFL Fantasy Picks: Watch out for Wilson against Houston