Forgotten man Pato produces blast from the past at Sporting
The former Milan player reminded the world why he was once the hottest prospect in football with a sensational display in Villarreal's 3-1 win at Sporting Gijon on Saturday.
Alexandre Pato reminded the world why he was once the hottest prospect in football with a sensational display in Villarreal's 3-1 win at Sporting Gijon on Saturday.
The Brazilian, who signed for AC Milan before his 18th birthday for 26 million euros but never fulfilled his potential, was given a standing ovation by Sporting supporters despite being the architect of their team's defeat in La Liga.
Pato, who won the award for best young player in Europe in 2009, was the standout performer in a dominant display by Villarreal and nearly scored a candidate for goal of the season, twisting and turning through the middle and leaving a trail of Sporting players in his wake, only to be denied by goalkeeper Ivan Cuellar.
He made his first tangible mark on the game minutes later by racing in behind the defence to send the ball towards the far bottom corner, only for team mate Nicola Sansone to get the final touch into the net. Pato looked disappointed at not scoring himself but Sansone made amends by laying on a pass for the Brazilian to tap into an empty net in the 74th minute and round off the victory.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL NFL's Jeff Pash and WFT's Bruce Allen implicated in email investigation
- FIFA 22 FIFA 22 Road to the Knockouts: player cards and how to upgrade them
- MEDICARE What if I miss the Medicare deadline?
- NFL Do NFL teams have their own planes? How do they travel to away games?
- NFL Why do NFL players paint under their eyes?
- QATAR 2022 When does the 2022 FIFA World Cup start? Opening game and final dates