Athletic's Yeray Álvarez operated on "without incident"
The Athletic Bilbao defender was diagnosed with testicular cancer last week and underwent an orchiectomy on Tuesday morning.
Athletic Bilbao defender Yeray Álvarez, who was diagnosed with testicular cancer last week, has been successfully operated on and is expected to be discharged from hospital on Wednesday, the club said in a statement.
Yeray underwent an orchiectomy and the procedure was described by Athletic as “passing without incident.”
The operation was performed just four days after club president Josu Urrutia announced at a press conference that the 21-year-old academy product had been diagnosed with a tumour and that the prognosis was “optimistic.”
Yeray came through the ranks at Lezema, playing for the youth sides from the age of 13 all the way up to Bilbao Athletic, the reserve side, in 2014-15. He made his senior debut on September 15 in the Europa League and has gone on to command a regular starting place at San Mamés, making 17 appearances in all competitions this season.
Recommended in English
- UFC Francis Ngannou vs Ciryl Gane Heavyweight title: fight card, TV and how to watch online
- NFL Andy Reid: Willie Gay Jr. to star against Bills following arrest
- NFL 49ers vs Packers: times, TV and how to watch online
- NFL | HALL OF FAME Which NFL team has the most Hall of Famers?
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers’ net worth?
- NFL How did Aaron Rodgers respond to Joe Biden's vaccine criticism?