Chelsea's Diego Costa has admitted that he was close to a return to LaLiga side Atlético Madrid last summer after a poor second season at Stamford Bridge.
14 goals for Premier League leaders
The Spain international has starred for the West London outfit this term, hitting 14 Premier League goals so far for Antonio Conte's table-topping team.
The 28-year-old's strike against Stoke City on Saturday rounded off a 4-2 victory that saw Chelsea claim a record-equalling 13th straight league win.
"I was about to leave"
"It was not to be," Costa explained, adding that he's now pleased he stayed. "I was about to leave. I was about to... but, well, I'm happy here as well and that's that."
"I'm very happy here, I'm very content"
"I had the possibility to go to Atlético, because of a few things: the family, the life I have there. But not because of Chelsea, because here there's a lot of love with the supporters, with the people, so I'm very happy here, I'm very content.
"There was one thing I wanted to change for family reasons but, well, it wasn't to be and I continue to be happy here. It was important too that the manager, from the very first minute, said he counted on me."
Recommended in English
- US NEWS Would a government shutdown in December completely stop fourth stimulus check negotiations?
- SOCIAL SECURITY Can you change your Social Security number for any reason?
- NFL Bucs' Antonio Brown banned for three games by NFL
- PREMIER LEAGUE Why has Michael Carrick left Manchester Utd?
- NFL How are the uniforms of the 2021 Army vs. Navy football game? Are they for sale?
- SOCCER With what teams has Cristiano Ronaldo scored career 800 goals?