José Fonte: Southampton captain hands in transfer request
The Portugal defender, linked with Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool, has asked the Premier League club for a transfer.
Southampton captain José Fonte has submitted a transfer request, the club said on Thursday, with Manchester United, Liverpool and Manchester City all linked with the defender.
The Portugal international has only 18 months left on his current contract, and Saints director of football Les Reed said he had rejected an improved deal - a claim the player rejects.
Southampton director of football: "José wants to leave"
"He's had several opportunities to improve the contract situation. He's reserved his right not to do that," Reed told BBC Radio Solent.
"He's made it very clear he would like to explore the opportunities for a transfer. That's where we are at the moment, José wants to leave the club. He's formally asked for a transfer."
Fonte: "I did not reject a new contract"
Underlining the discord between player and club, Fonte, who joined from Crystal Palace in 2010, wrote on Instagram last month: "Just to set the record straight: I did not reject a new contract.
"In fact," added the 33-year-old former Benfica player, "I have been informed by Southampton that they are not offering me a new contract."