United States want their own version of Copa América in 2020
The reports coming from Globoesporte claim that the US have already started doing work behind the scenes to ensure they could their own version of the Copa América in 2020.
The Copa América Centenario 2016 was a resounding success in the United States. So much so that reports suggesting the country are currently doing work behind the scenes to ensure a similar event in 2020.
According to Globoesporte.com from Zurich, Switzerland, US officials have questioned their South American counterparts during FIFA meetings on the possibility of organizing a new Copa tournament. The South America countries are reluctant, however, to strengthen CONCACAF.
The proposition made by the US is to run an extra tournament much like the Centennial Cup last year. It would likely take place in 2020 and would not interfere with the Copa, which will be held in September 2019.
No joint tournament
The report in Globoesporte, states Conmebol president Alejandro Domínguez and CONCACAF president Victor Montagliani reject the possibility of both confederations joining together for a tournament.
Te recomendamos en English
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth
- SCIENCE NEWS When will the Sun die?
- NFL Odell Beckham Jr. close to return for Cleveland Browns
- NFL New York Jets' Zach Wilson reflects on his disastrous 'four interceptions' game
- NFL New York Giants' Nick Gates in good spirits while facing an uncertain future