Rubi appointed as new Sporting Gijón head coach
The 46-year-old replaces Abelardo Fernández, who left his post this week with the Asturian side four points from safety in LaLiga.
Relegation-threatened Sporting Gijón on Thursday unveiled Joan Francesc Ferrer Sicilia, commonly known as Rubi, as the new head coach at El Molinón.
Takes over from Abelardo
Rubi replaces Abelardo Fernández at the LaLiga strugglers, who sit in 18th - four points from safety - having lost seven of their last eight in the league.
Aberlardo resigned on Tuesday in the wake of the Asturian outfit's latest loss, a 3-2 home reverse to Eibar on Sunday evening.
Rubi confident "results will come"
Speaking at his presentation, former Barcelona assistant Rubi vowed to "work very hard" to lift Sporting out of relegation trouble.
The 46-year-old coach, whose former clubs include Levante, Valladolid and Girona, added that he was convinced that "the results will come".
Te recomendamos en English
- JUVENTUS Juventus player Arthur Melo involved in car crash
- OLYMPICS Team USA will require vaccinations for Winter Olympics hopefuls
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano: what will happen when the lava reaches the Atlantic Ocean?
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Why have some parents not received the Child Tax Credit payment; how to claim it?
- Leagues Cup Final Seattle Sounders vs. Club León live updates: scores, stats, and updates | Leagues Cup Final
- Towns stunned after Timberwolves fire president of basketball ops