Simeone headache as Atleti reduced to 15 outfield players
Augusto, Oblak and Tiago are injured while Thomas is at the CAN and Cerci is out of favour. Giménez has been ruled out for a month and Correa has a knock.
Diego Simeone is facing a mounting injury crisis at Atlético after José María Giménez was ruled out for at least a month on Monday after undergoing tests on an injury picked up in the 0-0 draw against Eibar at the weekend.
The Uruguay international has suffered a “grade I-II muscle injury in his right thigh adductor,” the club confirmed in a statement and will miss the Copa del Rey semi-final against Barcelona and is a doubt for the Champions League last 16 first leg at Bayer Leverkusen on February 21.
Simeone down to 15 outfield players
Atlético are under a Fifa-imposed transfer ban in January and with Augusto Fernández, Jan Oblak and Tiago on the sidelines – added to the absence of Thomas Partey, on international duty with Ghana – Simeone has only 15 outfield players available ahead for crucial upcoming fixtures.
One of those is Alessio Cerci, who is completely out of favour after recovering from a serious knee injury and has only featured for 26 minutes in the cup against third-tier Guijuelo this season.
Adding to Simeone’s problems is a knock picked up by Ángel Correa against Eibar, although tests confirmed that he should be able to resume training this week.
Gabi, Saúl and Koke
In the meantime Gabi is one caution away from a suspension in the Copa del Rey and Koke and Saúl are walking an equally fine line in La Liga.
Te recomendamos en English
- RYDER CUP 2021 Ryder Cup 2021 full schedule: participants, match dates, and times
- NFL Panthers at Texans: Fantasy Start ‘ems and Sit ‘ems
- REAL MADRID Mbappé: 100 days until PSG star can negotiate with Real Madrid
- Nagelsmann on Rudiger to Bayern rumours: I'll have to see if I have any money in my wallet!
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth