Raphael Varane picked up a hamstring injury in the loss to Valencia, Real Madrid said in a statement on Friday morning after the player underwent tests.
Varane out for four to six weeks
Although Real Madrid did not give an estimation of the length of time Varane will be out, medical sources consulted by AS confirmed the injury can be expected to keep him on the sidelines for between four and six weeks.
Varane was taken off in the 72nd minute in Mestalla and initially it was suspected he had suffered a fibre tear that would have kept him out of action for around three weeks.
Madrid derby and Champions League
In the worst case scenario of Varane being out for six weeks, the France defender would theoretically be available for the derby against Atlético on April 8. As for the Champions League, if Real Madrid get past Napoli on March 7 the competition is then on a hiatus until April 11 when the quarter-finals get underway, meaning Varane should be fit to feature.
Recommended in English
- MLB Why is the MLB close to a lockout? What are the key issues?
- NFL Where does the Dallas Cowboys - New York Giants team rivalry comes from?
- NFL Who has the biggest NFL rivalry?
- US NEWS What services are likely to stop during a government shutdown?
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES Supreme Court on Roe v Wade live updates: arguments, Abortion Law, Mississippi...
- NFL Who are the 10 best Dallas Cowboy players of all time?