Gift bags are all the rage
Much has been made of the claim by the Villarreal president, and Spanish billionaire businessman, Fernando Roig, about the referee of their game with Real Madrid leaving their stadium with merchandise from the capital club. This was supposed to have a specific connection with the controversial penalty awarded to Madrid. But it is not unusual for match officials to receive small momentos - team badges, flags, pens, etc - from clubs.
Real Madrid, Barcelona, Athletic and Real Sociedad normally give some type of gift to officials, as do Villarreal, which has been shown in recent videos. It should be noted that Barcelona's spokesperson, Josep Vives, has said that they don't give anything when away from Camp Nou.
In Madrid's case, match officials would normally leave the Bernabéu with more than some pens and little treats. The referee would have a personalised shirt, with his name on the back, and the date of the match printed. As a general rule, the club prepares five bags for each of the four officials and another for the match delegate.
Real Madrid vs Las Palmas coverage | LaLiga Santander
Recommended in English
- NFL Have the Cincinnati Bengals ever won the Super Bowl?
- NFL How much do NFL players get for playing the conference finals?
- NFL How did the Cincinnati Bengals get their name? Origin and meaning
- TRANSFER MARKET Who are Arsenal targeting after losing out on Vlahovic to Juventus?
- WORLD CUP 2022 Which teams have qualified for the 2022 World Cup?
- REAL MADRID How long is Karim Benzema going to be out of action for?