Essien: ex-Chelsea, Real Madrid player joins Indonesians Persib
Former Ghana international star Michael Essien has completed a free transfer to Persib Bandung, the club have revealed.Liverpool v. Chelsea live online
Ex-Chelsea and Ghana midfielder Michael Essien has signed a one-year deal with Indonesian club Persib Bandung, it was announced on Tuesday.
Essien: biggest name in Indonesia since Milla, Kempes
He is the highest-profile footballer to move to Indonesia since Cameroon legend Roger Milla and Argentine World Cup-winner Mario Kempes in the 1990s.
A free agent since departing Greek side Panathinaikos last summer, Essien won the Champions League, two Premier Leagues and four FA Cups at Chelsea.
The 34-year-old, who joined the Blues from Lyon in 2005, also had a loan spell at Real Madrid in 2012/13, before leaving England in 2014 for 18 months at AC Milan.
Essien played at two World Cups for the Ghanaian national team, who he represented 58 times, before retiring from international duty after Brazil 2014.
One of Indonesia's top sides
Based in Bandung in West Java, Persib are one of the best supported clubs in Indonesia and finished third in the recently completed President's Cup.
The start date for the new league season in Indonesia is yet to be confirmed.
Te recomendamos en English
- LABOR NEWS Will Wisconsin's child labor reform bill become law?
- NFL Tom Brady sets record with 600th touchdown pass
- MLB How many times have the Atlanta Braves and Dallas Astros won the World Series?
- NFL How and where to watch Bears vs. Bucs
- NFL New York Jets vs New England Patriots summary: score, goals, highlights | NFL today
- NFL Chicago Bears 3 vs 38 Patriots summary: score, stats, highlights | NFL Week 7