Rojo: Mourinho peels banana for tired United man in Rostov win
Manchester United's Europa League win over FC Rostov threw up one of the more curious scenes of Thursday night's continental action...
José Mourinho and Marcos Rojo were at the centre of one of the more curious incidents in the Europa League's last-16 second legs on Thursday evening.
During United's 1-0 home win over FC Rostov - which saw the hosts prevail 2-1 on aggregate - the Red Devils' boss was suddenly seen brandishing a peeled banana.
Mourinho made his way over to the touchline and handed it to substitute Ashley Young as he warmed up, before defender Rojo trotted over to pick up the fruit.
A fatigued-looking Rojo was then seen gratefully scoffing the potassium-rich mid-game snack as he fuelled up for a nervous final 20 minutes at Old Trafford.
Mourinho: Rojo was "in trouble"
Speaking post-match, Mourinho explained to reporters: "I was afraid of extra time and I knew I had Marcos Rojo in trouble, so it was a difficult game.
"If you were tired any time in your life, I was tired many times, I know what the body needs," the former Real Madrid, Chelsea, Inter and Porto coach added.
"It needs anything. The player asked for a banana. But it's not to laugh at all. It's to respect the players."
Recommended in English
- US NEWS Child tax credit 2022: why did families only receive payments for six months?
- NFL Five takeaways from NFL playoffs divisional round: Rodgers, Mahomes...
- NFL San Francisco 49ers vs LA Rams: schedule, TV channel and where to watch live the NFC Conference finals
- WORLD NEWS Earthquakes in Israel: what magnitude were they and what are the consequences?
- Barcelona Barcelona have one week to complete two signings
- NFL Tom Brady too upset about Bucs' playoff exit to consider future