Gabi: "Our objective has changed; we want third place"
The Atlético captain believes that his side's resounding win over Sevilla opens up the possibility of claiming the last automatic Champions League place.
Atlético Madrid captain Gabi spoke to pitch side reporters after his side beat Sevilla in the Calderón on Sunday, bridging the gap between Atlético in fourth and Jorge Sampaoli’s side in third to two points. The midfielder pointed to the importance of the margin of victory after Sevilla’s 1-0 win in the Sánchez Pizjuán earlier in the season, giving Atlético head-to-head goal difference advantage if the sides are level on points at the end of the season.
"We knew Sevilla would be affected by the Champions League"
“These were three vital points, and three points that change our objectives for the season. We’re secure in fourth place now and we’re going to go for third. It was a very complete game from the whole team, we’re happy with the result. We knew that Sevilla would be affected by the Champions League. It was an important game and we took advantage of it. Congratulations to the whole team.”
Gabi: "Probably the most important game"
“Sevilla are a direct rival, they’re fighting for the same objectives and it was important to win this match. It was probably the most important game in the rest of our league season,” the Atlético captain added.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS What businesses accept payment with cryptocurrencies in the US?
- NFL How many times have the Los Angeles Rams reached the NFC NFL Conference Finals?
- NFL How many times have Cincinnati Bengals reached AFC Championship Game?
- SOCCER Cristiano Ronaldo complains about market valuation and asks for an explanation
- BARCELONA Barcelona and Spotify seal deal for Camp Nou naming rights
- 'I thought I was dreaming!' – Warriors star Wiggins reacts to All-Star selection