Bahrain 0 - 0 Singapore
Singapore start qualifiers with goalless away draw in Bahrain
Singapore Lions achieved a positive start in their bid to secure a place in the AFC Asian Cup, after holding Bahrain to a goalless draw at the National Stadium in Riffa.
Ranked 36 spots below their rivals in the FIFA Rankings and having lost all seven previous matches against Bahrain, the Lions were able to hold their opponents. Singapore’s national side created most of their chances in the first 20 minutes of the game, however, most of the time possession was dominated by the home side.
Bahrain´s desire for a goal was clear in the second half, as more men were thrown up to their rival’s penalty area. However, Singapore’s defense managed to clear every threat. Veteran goalkeeper, Hassan Sunny, played a key role in the underdog’s valuable draw.
Singapore worked hard against dominant Bahrain
It was the home side who had the best chances to claim the three points. In the second half, Ismaeel Abdulatif had a clear opportunity to seal the match. He blasted the ball over the bar after Singaporean goalkeeper, Hassan Sunny, redirected a shot from Ahmed Ali into his path.
Last Sunday, in the other Group E match, Turkmenistan beat Chinese Taipei 3-1. Singapore’s next match will be at home against Chinese Taipei on June 10.
The top two teams of the group will qualify for the AFC Asian Cup, which will be held in the United Arab Emirates in January and February 2018
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- Stimulus Checks Second $600 Golden State stimulus check: when will I receive it and how to track
- US NEWS California stimulus check: when will the payments arrive and who qualifies?
- PSG Lionel Messi's PSG contract details revealed
- Soccer Pele in hospital: daughter says he's recovering well
- MLB MLB results: Los Angeles Dodgers beaten by Cincinnati Reds