RUSSIAN PREMIER LEAGUE
Spartak Moscow win first league title since 2001
Spartak Moscow have won the Russian Premier League for the first time since 2001 after beating Tom Tomsk, as Zenit lost to Terek Grozny.
Spartak Moscow have been crowned champions of the Russian Premier League for the first time since 2001 with three games to spare after rivals Zenit slipped to defeat against Terek Grozny.
Quincy Promes has earned himself an eternal spot in Spartak's history by scoring the goal that secured the title. https://t.co/KBUSfPFVkp— RussianFootballNews (@RusFootballNews) 7 May 2017
After Massimo Carrera's league leaders beat FC Tom Tomsk 1-0 courtesy of a first-half goal from Quincy Promes on Saturday, Zenit were undone by Ablaye Mbengue's 65th-minute strike, as Grozny inflicted a first defeat in four games on Mircea Lucescu's men on Sunday.
The results left Spartak 10 points clear of second placed CSKA Moscow and 11 clear of Zenit with three games left to play, and a 10th Russian championship extends the club's record as the country's most successful team.
The triumph marks Spartak's first league title since 2001, when Oleg Romantsev's side finished four points clear of Lokomotiv Moscow, but this season's campaign has been more impressive – Spartak have already amassed 63 points, compared to their final total of 60 in 2000-01.
Dutch winger Promes has been inspirational this season, scoring 11 goals in 23 league appearances, while Cape Verde international Ze Luis has scored five goals in 19 appearances as a striker.
Carrera took over as Spartak manager in August 2016, after working as assistant to predecessor Dmitri Alenichev.
Spartak have lost just four games on their way to clinching the title in Carrera's first season in charge.
Te recomendamos en English
- US News Will Amazon accept Bitcoin as a payment method?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 26 July
- Child Tax Credit $3000/$3600 Child Tax Credit: what are the IRS warnings about payment scams?
- Coronavirus Coronavirus US: why does the Delta variant spread so fast?
- OLYMPIC GAMES How many surfing world titles has Carissa Moore won?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | TENNIS Who are Japanese tennis star Naomi Osaka's parents?