Billy Gilmour: Chelsea sign 15-year-old Rangers prodigy
The Premier League club have secured Scotland Under-17 starlet Billy Gilmour's services ahead of the likes of Barcelona and Man United.Liverpool v. Chelsea live online
Premier League leaders Chelsea have reached an agreement to sign 15-year-old playmaker Billy Gilmour from Rangers, the Glasgow club said on Tuesday.
Rangers wanted the Scotland Under-17 international to stay at Ibrox but could not compete with Gilmour's eagerness to move south and he will join Chelsea's academy in the summer for a reported fee of £500,000 (595,000 euros).
Host of major European clubs keen on Gilmour
Although yet to make a first-team appearance for Rangers, Gilmour is a highly regarded prospect who attracted interest from leading clubs in Britain and Europe, with Arsenal, Manchester United, Barcelona and Bayern Munich all said to have been scouting the teenager.
"The club's preference would have been for Billy to stay at Rangers but when he made clear his desire to move to the Premier League it was important that we maximised the commercial value for him. We believe we have done this," the Scottish Premiership side said.
"That he was sought after by many Premiership clubs, and indeed a number of the largest clubs in Europe, further demonstrates the quality of player now being produced by the academy."
Recommended in English
- UFC Francis Ngannou vs Ciryl Gane Heavyweight title: fight card, TV and how to watch online
- NFL Andy Reid: Willie Gay Jr. to star against Bills following arrest
- NFL 49ers vs Packers: times, TV and how to watch online
- NFL | HALL OF FAME Which NFL team has the most Hall of Famers?
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers’ net worth?
- NFL How did Aaron Rodgers respond to Joe Biden's vaccine criticism?