Depor seal La Liga safety at Sporting's expense
Deportivo secured a draw at Villarreal to leave Sporting Gijón relegated. Leganés will also play in La Liga next season after a draw at Athletic.
Deportivo La Coruña have secured their La Liga status for next season, barring a huge swing in goal difference with Sporting Gijón. Meanwhile, Leganés are mathematically safe.
Depor secure crucial draw
Deportivo held Villarreal to a 0-0 draw on the Mediterranean coast, which establishes a three-point gap between themselves and Sporting, with one game each still to play. Yet Depor's favourable head-to-head record against Sporting seals their safety.
Pepe Mel's team have limped over the line, passing up numerous opportunities to secure their safety. At the same time, a late surge by Sporting Gijón, who won their last two matches, came too late to save the Asturian team from the drop.
On the final day of the season, Depor will host Las Palmas at Riazor, while Sporting will play Betis at home.
Leganés seal safety
On the north coast, Madrid minions Leganés came from behind to draw 1-1 with Athletic Club, and confirm their place in the top flight for a second year.
Aritz Aduriz had put the home side ahead, before Szymanowski equalised for Los Pepineros on the hour mark.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics: IOC apologize after Ukraine and ROC confusion
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GOLF Tokyo Olympics: USA star Korda sizzles in the heat while flirting with 59
- NFL Trey Lance bringing the best out of Jimmy Garoppolo at 49ers
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER Tokyo Olympics: Megan Rapinoe and Carli Lloyd earn bronze for USA in thriller
- Tokyo Olympics Tokyo Olympics: Reaching the start line was a miracle – Johnson-Thompson explains injury fightback
- OLYMPIC GAMES How long is a Marathon? How far is it in miles?