Gaviria glory as Colombian claims fourth Giro stage win
Fernando Gaviria, at the age of just 22, is making quite the impression in the Giro d'Italia. The youngster claimed a fourth stage win on Friday.
Fernando Gaviria continued his sensational form at the Giro d'Italia on Friday, winning his second stage in succession and fourth in all as Tom Dumoulin comfortably retained his healthy general classification lead.
Gaviria wins on sprint
A flat 13th-stage route from Reggio Emilia to Tortona was always likely to conclude with a bunch sprint and Gaviria again proved the class of the field.
The 22-year-old Quick-Step Floors rider beat Bora-Hansgrohe's Sam Bennett into second place, with Jasper Stuyven (Trek-Segafredo) taking third.
Gaviria is the only rider in this year’s peloton with 4 stage wins in one Giro (Bennati 3 in 2008 and Greipel 3 in 2016 are his best rivals) pic.twitter.com/puelHZEnuL— Giro d'Italia (@giroditalia) May 19, 2017
Damiano Cunego has company
Gaviria is only the second man this century to claim four stage wins at a Giro before his 23rd birthday, following in the footsteps of Damiano Cunego in 2004.
4 stage wins at 22 years of age at the Giro. in this century only two riders managed it: Damiano Cunego in 2004 and Fernando Gaviria in 2017 pic.twitter.com/njO3yYdo8p— Giro d'Italia (@giroditalia) May 19, 2017
Meanwhile, British cyclist Geraint Thomas has been forced to withdraw from the event due to a knee injury sustained on Sunday. The injury happened as a result of a stray police motorbike.
Te recomendamos en English
- SOCIAL SECURITY How many people will benefit from the Social Security increase in Texas?
- NFL Watt joins long list of players out for Packers vs Cardinals game
- International Soccer Mexico 2-3 Ecuador summary: score, goals, highlights, exhibition match
- SOCCER Ronald Koeman fired from FC Barcelona: who are the possible coaches that could replace him?
- Jokic won't miss extended time after knee injury vs. Jazz Tuesday
- MLB Braves vs. Astros live online, scores, stats and updates: World Series Game 2