Lyon president Jean Michel Aulas has confirmed that star striker Alexandre Lacazette has a verbal agreement in place to join Atlético Madrid this summer.
Aulas: "There is no certainty. We have to wait for CAS"
"Alex has a verbal agreement with a club, Atlético, but there is no certainty, since we have to wait for CAS to lift the ban on recruitment," Aulas told L'Equipe.
"We accepted Alex's request to discuss exclusively with this club, but the other side of that is that this transfer is made on our terms."
No fee has been put forward yet by Lyon but Lacazette, who has spent his entire career at the Ligue 1 club, is likely to cost in the region of 40-50 million euros.
Lacazette: "Atlético are a good team, and Griezmann is there"
Lacazette recently said during an interview with L’Equipe that Atlético is a club that he admires: “They are a very good team. They have been in the semi-finals of the Champions League for a few years. It’s a great club with a great stadium and players make progress there. And Griezmann is there.”
The two strikers formed a friendship in the France under-18s and remain close, which could work in Atlético’s advantage when other clubs inevitably come in for Lacazette. The striker has had an exceptional season, scoring 37 goals in 45 games, including 28 in Ligue 1, a figure bettered only by PSG’s Edinson Cavani.
Recommended in English
- NFL Joe Burrow: Winning playoff games the standard to meet for the Bengals
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers' record against the 49ers?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid's big question: how to fit Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappé into the same team
- US NEWS Which fast food restaurants accept EBT food stamps?
- 2022 TAX SEASON Are the tax brackets the same if I am retired?
- NFL Titans could activate RB Derrick Henry ahead of Bengals clash