Ronaldo becomes only player to score in three Champions League finals
Cristiano Ronaldo opened the scoring for Real Madrid against Juventus in the Champions League final, also scoring Madrid's 500th goal in the competition
Cristiano Ronaldo opened the scoring in the Champions League final in Cardiff, to put Real Madrid one nil up against opponents Juventus. Mario Mandzukic levelled the score in the first half with a spectacular overhead kick.
Ronaldo: Champions League final maestro
In doing so, the Portuguese became the first player to score in three Champions League finals. He netted for Manchester United against Chelsea, and in 2014 as Real Madrid beat rivals Atlético.
Ronaldo is not the first to achieve the feat in the history of Europe's elite competition. Alfredo Di Stefano scored in five consecutive European Cup finals for Real Madrid, as the club dominated the nascent competition in the 1950s and early 1960s.
Cristiano scores Madrid's 500th Champions League goal
Ronaldo's opener was also significant as it took Real Madrid to 500 goals in the Champions League. It was not the first time that the forward has notched up a centenary goal... he also scored Madrid's 200th and 400th goals in the competition.
The scorers of Madrid’s centenary goals in the Champions League are Savio (100), Ronaldo (200), Karim Benzema (300) and Cristiano Ronaldo (400).
Recommended in English
- THE GAME AWARDS The Game Awards 2021: times, stream, how to watch it online and what to expect
- THE GAME AWARDS The Game Awards 2021: list of nominees and the 6 GOTY contenders
- NFL LA Rams' WR Mike Williams latest to be put on covid-19 list
- EUROPA LEAGUE Have Barcelona ever played and won in the Europa League?
- GOLF When will Tiger Woods return to the PGA Tour?
- NFL NFL Fantasy Picks: Watch out for Wilson against Houston