Ronaldo becomes only player to score in three Champions League finals
Cristiano Ronaldo opened the scoring for Real Madrid against Juventus in the Champions League final, also scoring Madrid's 500th goal in the competition
Cristiano Ronaldo opened the scoring in the Champions League final in Cardiff, to put Real Madrid one nil up against opponents Juventus. Mario Mandzukic levelled the score in the first half with a spectacular overhead kick.
Ronaldo: Champions League final maestro
In doing so, the Portuguese became the first player to score in three Champions League finals. He netted for Manchester United against Chelsea, and in 2014 as Real Madrid beat rivals Atlético.
Ronaldo is not the first to achieve the feat in the history of Europe's elite competition. Alfredo Di Stefano scored in five consecutive European Cup finals for Real Madrid, as the club dominated the nascent competition in the 1950s and early 1960s.
Cristiano scores Madrid's 500th Champions League goal
Ronaldo's opener was also significant as it took Real Madrid to 500 goals in the Champions League. It was not the first time that the forward has notched up a centenary goal... he also scored Madrid's 200th and 400th goals in the competition.
The scorers of Madrid’s centenary goals in the Champions League are Savio (100), Ronaldo (200), Karim Benzema (300) and Cristiano Ronaldo (400).
Recommended in English
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers’ net worth?
- NFL Aaron Rodgers calls out Biden's 'fake White House' after vaccine spat
- NFL How and where to watch Bills v Chiefs: Kickoff time, TV channel, live stream
- NFL 49ers 13 vs. 10 Packers summary: Gould FG seals Niners win, stats, and highlights | NFL Playoffs
- NFL Burrow sacked nine times in Bengals win over Titans
- NFL Chiefs Tyreek Hill fined $12K for pom-pom celebration vs Steelers