Puyol: "According to Xavi, we should not have resigned Piqué"
The former Barcelona captain discussed Xavi's controversial comments during the week and said that when you get the chance to sign Gerard Piqué, you take it.
Carles Puyol is in London competing in the World of Legends and recently helped Spain to an 8-1 victory over Nigeria to ensure their passage to the semi-final of the competition. After the game, the former Barca captain spoke about Xavi's most recent interview when he said that any youngster that wants to leave Barcelona can, but should not be re-signed.
Based on Xavi's opinion, Gerard Piqué, who left for Manchester United earlier in his career, would not be allowed back to the Camp Nou and neither would Cesc Fabregas after he left for Arsenal before returning to the club in 2011.
Puyol, who continues to work with the club, says "that's his opinion, if that's the case Barca would not have signed Cesc or Piqué, who have put in excellent performances. I believe you have to analyse it on a case by case basis and to analyse the reasons as to why they left," he said. "You have to look at it when these things happen and if you have the chance to sign Piqué, the best central defender in the world, and yo don't do it because he left, that's wrong. But as I said, it's his opinion and I resect it."
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL Rodgers taunts Bears fans: "All my f****** life I own you" after Packers win
- NFL Browns QB Mayfield dislocates shoulder again but expects to play Thursday
- SERIE A Johan Vásquez scores in his Serie A debut with Genoa
- REAL MADRID Benzema has his eyes set on this year's Ballon d'Or
- SOCCER | REAL MADRID Mbappé looks to follow Ronaldo's path at Real Madrid
- NBA Simmons returns to 76ers practice, will play 'when he's ready'