Wolves snap up Atlético Madrid promise Diogo Jota on loan
The 20-year-old winger will be reunited with his former Porto coach Nuno Espírito Santo in the West Midlands at the Championship side.
Wolverhampton Wanderers confirmed on Tuesday morning that the Championship side had reached agreement with Atlético Madrid to take Diogo Jota on loan for the 2017-18 season.
The 20-year-old winger will be reunited at Molineux with his former Porto coach Nuno Espírito Santo, having spent last season on loan at the Portuguese side.
Atlético signed promise in 2016
Atlético bought Jota from Paços Ferreira last summer on a five-year deal but the Portugal under-23 international has yet to make a competitive appearance for Diego Simeone’s side.
“It will be good to work with Nuno again because I know him and worked with him last season,” Jota said. “There are also other players there who were teammates, and that will help me to settle in. Playing in the Championship will be tough. It’s a very competitive league with a lot of games.”
Wolves kick off their Championship campaign at home against relegated Middlesbrough on August 5.
Recommended in English
- NBA Juancho recalls tough times at Boston: "There was no room for me"
- NFL PFWA selects three Chiefs for All-Rookie Team Honors
- Soccer Real Madrid's Rodrygo wants World Cup glory with Brazil
- AFCON Mané taken to hospital after head injury blow at AFCON
- NFL Lakers 106 vs. 96 Nets summary: stats, scores, and highlights | NBA
- MLB Big Papi only player elected to Hall of Fame