Bartomeu tells Gil Marín: "We won't go for Griezmann..."
Atlético Madrid's CEO reminded Barça's president that they cannot sign anyone due to the transfer ban and would noy be able to replace the French forward.
Josep Maria Bartomeu made a phonecall to Atlético CEO Miguel Ángel Gil Marín on Tuesday to enquire about Antoine Griezmann's situation. During that call, the Barcelona president told Gil Marín that Griezmann is a player who the Catalan club is interested in signing, but added that Barça will not do anything that would seriously undermine Atleti.
Atlético ask Barça to respect their situation with the transfer ban
Gil Marín meanwhile reminded Bartomeu that Atlético are unable to sign players while the FIFA transfer ban is in place and that they would not be able to replace Griezmann if another club lures him away this summer. A gentleman's agreement was made that Barcelona would not put in an offer for Griezmann during the current transfer window.
Atlético and Barcelona enjoy an excellent relationship and Bartomeu's consideration was well received in Madrid. Other clubs have not been as gracious with Atleti this season. The club believe that Griezmann won't leave this summer although it will be harder to hang on to him this time next year. Right now, Griezmann is valued at 200 million euros but that fee will have halved in 2018 and that will be the moment when the Frenchman could decide to move on.
Te recomendamos en English
- BOXING Joshua: "No real strategy except for winning" against Usyk
- BOXING Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Osyk: date, tickets, venue
- WORLD NEWS How does Evergrande conglomerate put China's housing system in danger of collapse?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Klopp salutes Liverpool ace Minamino and reveals Firmino fitness update
- GOLF Five reasons why we all love the Ryder Cup
- NBA 15-year NBA veteran JJ Redick announces retirement