Marcelo slapped with two-match ban for Levante red card
The Real Madrid full back was sent off in the final minute of the 1-1 draw for a kick on Jefferson Lerma and will miss games against Sociedad and Betis.
The LFP disciplinary committee has handed down a two-game ban to Real Madrid full back Marcelo after his red card against Levante for kicking Jefferson Lerma in the final stages of the 1-1 draw in the Bernabéu. As such, Marcelo will be unavailable for the trip to Real Sociedad this weekend and the visit of Betis on September 20.
Madrid appeal denied
Real Madrid had appealed against the sending off but the disciplinary committee remained unmoved. The panel did though give the Brazilian the lightest punishment available under Article 123 of the LFP code of conduct, which deals with dangerous play.
In the referee’s match report, Alejandro Hernández Hernández noted that: “In the 89th minute, [Real Madrid] player number 12, Vieira Da Silva Junior, Marcelo, was sent off for kicking an opponent in the back with the ball at a distance where it could not be played.”
Zidane facing selection woe at high-flying Sociedad
Had Marcelo been charged with violent conduct he could have faced a ban of up to four matches. Still, the Brazilian’s absence causes another headache for Zinedine Zidane, who is already without Karim Benzema (injured) and Cristiano Ronaldo (suspended) for the trip to second-placed Sociedad on Sunday.
Recommended in English
- Coronavirus Is armpit pain after the covid vaccine or booster shot a normal symptom?
- SOCCER Mohamed Salah sends message to Barcelona
- MLS Jesse Marsch linked to LAFC job after being sacked by RB Leipzig
- USMNT Christian Pulisic explains struggle on the road to recovery
- MANCHESTER UNITED Man United manager Rangnick delivers a 'chapeau' to Ronaldo work-rate
- NBA Did the Bucks' Giannis Antetokounmpo miss the game against Miami Heat?