Kovacic out for Real Madrid for six to eight weeks
The Real Madrid midfielder suffered the injury against APOEL in the Champions League.
Real Madrid player Mateo Kovacic has suffered a partial tear to a tendon in his thigh (adductor), according to a statement released by Real Madrid.
Kovacic out for six to eight weeks
The Croatian came off injured during Wednesday night's Champions League match against APOEL, after hurting himself making an easy pass to Marcelo.
Kovacic underwent medical tests on Thursday morning. Real Madrid have not announced how long the injury will keep the player out for, but medical experts consulted by AS, confirmed the injury would likely need six to eight weeks recovery before the player could be considered match fit.
Kovacic to miss the following games
In the best case scenario (six weeks out) Kovacic would miss seven Liga games (Real sociedad, Betis, Alavés, Espanyol, Getafe, Eibar and Girona) and two in the Champions League (Borussia and Tottenham at the Bernabéu). He'd be back for the game in London against Tottenham (1 November) or against Las Palmas (4 or 5).
In a worst case scenario (eight weeks out), he'd also miss the the derby against Atlético Madrid in the Wanda Metropolitano (14 or 15 November).
The injury is terrible luck for Kovacic who has had a fine start to the season. He shone in the pre-season and started both legs of the Spanish Super Cup against Barcelona, where he was instrumental in beating Real Madrid's eternal rival. This is a tough blow for both the player and his manager Zidane, who also has Benzema out for six weeks.
Recommended in English
- NFL Joe Burrow: Winning playoff games the standard to meet for the Bengals
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers' record against the 49ers?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid's big question: how to fit Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappé into the same team
- US NEWS Which fast food restaurants accept EBT food stamps?
- 2022 TAX SEASON Are the tax brackets the same if I am retired?
- NFL Titans could activate RB Derrick Henry ahead of Bengals clash