Lopetegui to ring changes against Israel: Asensio, Nacho, Viera
Having already qualified for the 2018 World Cup in Russia, Julen Lopetegui will name a much-changed side when La Roja take on Israel on Monday.
Julen Lopetegui will make sweeping changes to his Spain team ahead of La Roja's final World Cup qualifier, an away match against Israel.
The coach's decision is partly motivated by the fact that Spain have already qualified for Russia 2018, and also due to the limited recovery time the players have had following their victory over Albania on Friday.
Kepa and Reina vie for De Gea's spot
The first doubt is the goalkeeper position, where Lopetegui will give either Pepe Reina or Kepa Arrizabalaga the opportunity to fill in for David De Gea. Kepa will make his debut if he is given the nod.
The defence will change completely. Nacho Monreal will play at left-back, Nacho will partner Marc Bartra in the centre of defence, and César Azpilicueta could play at right-back.
Sergio Busquets and Jonathan Viera to start
Sergio Busquets will return from suspension to occupy a space in midfield, while Las Palmas' Jonathan Viera will make his debut for La Selección. Marco Asensio is also assured of a space in the starting line-up.
In attack, Lopetegui will base his selection on the physical condition of the players, with Aritz Adruriz and Jose Callejón ready to step in.
Recommended in English
- SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS At what age can you collect Social Security?
- Health What is ‘Golden Blood’, the incredibly rare blood type known as Rhnull
- ALFREDO RELAÑO LaLiga's conundrum in trying to schedule match-day 21
- NFL Divisional round predictions: Bengals vs Titans, 49ers vs Packers, Rams vs Bucs, Bills vs Chiefs
- NFL LA Rams' QB Matthew Stafford is ready to play the Bucs
- COPA DEL REY Athletic Club vs Barcelona summary: score, goals, highlights, Copa del Rey 2021-22