Three of the best: the nominees for the 2017 Puskás Award
FIFA has announced the finalists for this year's gong: one of Deyna Castellanos, Olivier Giroud or Oscarine Masuluke will succeed Mohd Faiz Subri.
Venezuela under-17 international Deyna Castellanos, France striker Olivier Giroud and South African keeper Oscarine Masuluke have been nominated by Fifa as the three finalists for the 2017 Puskás Award.
Castellanos’ effort against Cameroon, from the halfway line, earned her nomination and she becomes the second Venezuela youth international to be put up for the award after Daniuska Rodriguez made the three player shortlist last year.
Masuluke’s extraordinary strike is expected to be the frontrunner, not least because keepers do not often score last-minute overhead kicks as he did for Baroka against Orlando Pirates.
Giroud, meanwhile, makes the shortlist for his scorpion kick goal against Crystal Palace in the Premier League last season.
Voting is open to the public and will run until the day of The Best Fifa Awards ceremony in London on October 23.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL 49ers vs Eagles: San Francisco win 17-11 in gruelling game
- OTHER SPORTS Oleksandr Usyk vs Anthony Joshua: A fight for the ages
- WOMEN IN SPORTS Women athletes urge Supreme Court to protect abortion rights
- AFGHANISTAN Why are Afghan women judges in hiding in Afghanistan and how are they being protected?
- NFL Dolphins QB Tagovailoa “day-to-day” after Sunday’s rib injury
- NFL Detroit Lions 17 vs 35 Green Bay Packers summary: score, stats, highlights | NFL Week 2