Athletic's Muniain has surgery on torn anterior cruciate ligament
Athletic Club winger Iker Muniain had an operation in Vitoria on Monday, with the knee injury set to keep him out for around seven months.
Iker Muniain has undergone surgery on the serious knee injury that he suffered in Athletic Club's Europa League clash with Zorya Luhansk late last month.
Muniain, 24, was stretchered off late on in the 1-0 group-stage defeat at San Mamés, and tests later revealed that he had torn his right anterior cruciate ligament.
Muniain surgery completed "without complications"
The Athletic youth product went under the knife in the Basque capital of Vitoria on Monday, with the club confirming that he came through the operation "without complications".
After the surgery, Muniain took to Twitter to post a photograph of himself with his thumbs up, accompanied by the caption: "Let's get [my recovery] started!"
Athletic player set to miss about seven months
The former Spain Under-21 international winger, who has one senior cap for La Roja, is expected to be sidelined for around seven months with the injury.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS When did Cyber Monday originate? What is Cyber Monday?
- NFL What is the Dallas Cowboys best record in franchise history?
- NFL Seattle vs. Washington live online: stats, scores and highlights | NFL Week 11
- SOCCER Which players have won the most Ballons d'Or?
- Belichick vindicated once more as Jackson builds DPOY case
- BALLO D'OR When did Messi win all of his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats