Olympiacos fans to pay tribute to former boss Valverde
“We're more excited to see him than Messi”, is the sentiment for the Greek fans according to Athens based daily Protathlitis.
This has been the worst start in a domestic league campaign for Olympiacos in 24 years (as Greek sports daily Fos were anxious to point out) but a walk through the streets of Piraeus talking to the locals and confidence is still high that the Thrylos (Legends as Olympiacos are known) will still lift the Greek league title come season end.
The message from club captains, Pomao, Fortounis and Botía is for the fans to remain united in their support for the side and everything points to a packed stadium for the visit of FC Barcelona tomorrow with the game a sell-out.
All eyes tomorrow in Piraeus will be on coach Ernesto Valverde. “He's back as the leader with Barcelona”, claims daily Protathlitis, who add that the Olympiacos faithful are more anxious to see their former coach rather than mercurial talent Lionel Messi”. Olympiacos ultras group, Gate 7 are also planning their own pre-match tribute to "El Txingurri" who won three domestic leagues and two cups in his time on the bench with the Greek outfit.
Recommended in English
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What is Roe v Wade in law? What happened in 1973?
- NFL How many members of the Dallas Cowboys got infected with covid? How long will they be out?
- Ballon d' Or Casillas baffled by Ballon d'Or outcome
- PSG must find best tactical balance without injured Neymar – Pochettino
- BUNDESLIGA Why are Bayern Munich playing games behind closed doors?
- USMNT Gio Reyna returns to training with Borussia Dortmund