LaLiga: VAR to be introduced in Spanish top flight next season
Spain's referees' chief has informed match officials that the video assistant referee system is to be brought to Primera División in 2018/19.
The video assistant referee (VAR) system is set to be introduced in Spain's Primera División next season, with the technology arriving in the country's second tier the following year.
VAR to review goals, penalties, red-card incidents...
Match officials in LaLiga have been informed of the plans by Rafael Sánchez Arminio, the chairman of the Spanish Football Federation's (RFEF) refereeing committee.
VAR is expected to be used to review in-game moments such as goals (offsides, handballs or fouls in the build-up, whether the ball has crossed the line), penalty decisions and red-card incidents.
The system is already in place in other European leagues including the Bundesliga in Germany and Italy's Serie A, while the English Premier League uses Hawk-Eye goalline technology.
VAR to be trialled in games this season
Before its introduction in LaLiga, VAR is to be tested in this season's Copa del Rey, with Atlético Madrid's last-32 second leg at home to Elche later in November among the matches identified for the trial.
Te recomendamos en English
- BOXING Woodley gets ‘I love Jake Paul’ tattoo, wants rematch
- US NEWS What is the meaning of racketeering? How long is a racketeering charge sentence?
- Porter agrees to max extension with Nuggets
- SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS What qualifies a child for social security benefits?
- NBA Philadelphia 76ers Morey says there is 'hope' for reconciliation with Ben Simmons
- MLB Yankees move ahead as the AL Wild Card chase enters final furlong