Casillas: Benítez's Newcastle in frame for Porto goalkeeper
Rafa Benítez is said to be keen on taking the out-of-favour ex-Real Madrid keeper to the Premier League in the January transfer window.
Iker Casillas appears to be irreversibly headed towards the FC Porto exit. Dropped by coach Sergio Conceiçao for October's Champions League defeat to RB Leipzig, the goalkeeper has featured just once for the Liga NOS club since then.
Out-of-favour Casillas has decided to leave Porto
Now second to Portuguese keeper José Sá in the pecking order, Casillas's patience has worn down to the point that the Real Madrid and Spain legend has made a decision over his future: his intention is to leave the Estadio do Dragao in January.
And as Casillas eyes a mid-season switch, Rafa Benítez's Newcastle United have emerged as a major potential destination. Benítez is said to be very keen to bring in the 36-year-old to strengthen his options in goal at the Premier League club, where Irishman Rob Elliot is currently first choice.
Crossed paths with Benítez at Real Madrid - for a month
Were Casillas to move to St James' Park, he would be reunited with a coach who he coincided with very briefly at Real Madrid, having departed for Porto just a month after the beginning of Benítez's ill-fated tenure as Bernabéu boss in June 2015.
Te recomendamos en English
- ENTERTAINMENT | HALLOWEEN MOVIES How to watch all Michael Myer's Halloween movies in order and where to find them
- NFL Who's left for Rodgers after Adams, Lazard out due to COVID
- SOCCER | LALIGA Ancelotti hits out Barca fans who showed Koeman 'a lack of respect'
- MLB Braves and Astros finalize roster ahead of World Series Game 1
- CORONAVIRUS | COVID-19 VACCINES Pfizer vaccine recommended for children 5 - 11; when could young children get vaccinated?
- Best haunted houses in Texas, Illinois, Michigan: corn mazes, asylums, and car washes