According to Cadena SER programme El Larguero, Atlético de Madrid are very close to renewing the contract of captain, Gabi Fernández - as Diario AS reported back on 21 October. The 34-year-old midfielder has a verbal agreement with the club to continue until June 2019, and only a few flecks of the new arrangement have yet to be ironed out.
Gabi isn't the only senior member of the squad who will be handed a new deal. Atlético also plan to offer Juanfran a one-year contract extension. The club began negotiations with the full-back last year but no new deal came to fruition at the time because the player was relegated to the subs' bench by Sime Vrsaljko. Since then, Atleti's priorities have changed and Simeone would rather have Juanfran as his first choice at right-back while Vrsaljko could be sold on. Both Juanfran and Atlético agree that a one-year extension would suit both parties.
Gabi and Juanfran, free to move on in June
Under the terms of their present contracts, both Gabi and Juanfran would be able to leave on a free contract after 30 June 2018.
Recommended in English
- NFL Joe Burrow: Winning playoff games the standard to meet for the Bengals
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers' record against the 49ers?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid's big question: how to fit Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappé into the same team
- US NEWS Which fast food restaurants accept EBT food stamps?
- 2022 TAX SEASON Are the tax brackets the same if I am retired?
- NFL Titans could activate RB Derrick Henry ahead of Bengals clash