According to Cadena SER programme El Larguero, Atlético de Madrid are very close to renewing the contract of captain, Gabi Fernández - as Diario AS reported back on 21 October. The 34-year-old midfielder has a verbal agreement with the club to continue until June 2019, and only a few flecks of the new arrangement have yet to be ironed out.
Gabi isn't the only senior member of the squad who will be handed a new deal. Atlético also plan to offer Juanfran a one-year contract extension. The club began negotiations with the full-back last year but no new deal came to fruition at the time because the player was relegated to the subs' bench by Sime Vrsaljko. Since then, Atleti's priorities have changed and Simeone would rather have Juanfran as his first choice at right-back while Vrsaljko could be sold on. Both Juanfran and Atlético agree that a one-year extension would suit both parties.
Gabi and Juanfran, free to move on in June
Under the terms of their present contracts, both Gabi and Juanfran would be able to leave on a free contract after 30 June 2018.
Recommended in English
- NFL What American football team does Joe Biden support?
- PEARL HARBOR Pearl Harbor 80th anniversary facts: how many planes attacked, how many people died…
- MOVIES 8 movies based on the Attack on Pearl Harbor
- NFL LA Chargers' WR Keenan Allen sidelined by covid-19
- NFL 2021/2022 NFL week 13: Which teams favourite to reach the playoffs at the moment?
- NFL Packers backup QB Jordan Love placed on covid-19 list