Turkish cycling star quits Israeli team over Jerusalem controversy
Ahmet Okren, one of Turkey’s best-known cyclists, abandoned his Israeli team after the controversy over Jerusalem.
One of Turkey’s best-known professional cyclists, Ahmet Okren, has quit the Israel Cycling Academy due to the controversy generated by the United States recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. Okren will now cycle for Salcano Sakarya Buyuksehir, a Turkish team.
Okren’s family in a ‘dire situation’
The Turkish cyclist, who had signed a two-year contract three months ago with the Israeli team, cited pressures on his family as the reason for his departure. "It was a difficult period in the last two weeks", Orken said on Monday, quoted by the Dogan news agency. "I took the decision so as not to worry about my country and my family. This is a decision that I have taken myself".
The Israel Cycling Academy agreed to release Okren from his contract after the cyclist said his family had found themselves in a compromised situation. "While we are disappointed by his decision, we only want what is best for him and his family. The doors of Israel Cycling Academy will be open for Ahmet and we certainly hope to see him rejoin us", said the team's general manager Ran Margaliot.
Te recomendamos en English
- Child Tax Credit Child Tax Credit 2021: when is the deadline to opt out from August payment?
- US NEWS What public pools are open in summer 2021 in Los Angeles?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Ledecky going for gold, medal count, results, today 28 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Why is Russia called ROC at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Ledecky aiming for two golds in a day with Titmus in the way
- REAL MADRID Official: Real Madrid defender Varane signs for Manchester United