Coutinho, Barça's most expensive signing and the second in history
The new arrival from from Liverpool is usurped only by Neymar in the list of the most expensive deals in history.
Philippe Coutinho has joined Barcelona from Liverpool. It's official. After several months of negotiation and soap opera, Coutinho has landed on the Mediterranean coast to reinforce Ernesto Valverde's squad.
Coutinho the most expensive purchase by a Spanish club
Barça paid €160 million to acquire his services, making him the most expensive player in the history of the club. The Brazilian also becomes the most expensive transfer made by any Spanish club.
Ousmane Dembélé - who joined Barça from Borussia Dortmund in the summer - becomes the second most dear transfer that the club have made. The French winger cost €105m, plus a further €40m in variables.
Neymar the only pricier player
On a global scale, Coutinho becomes the second most expensive transfer in history. That is, until PSG complete a pre-arranged €180m deal to bring Kylian Mbappé to Paris on a permanent basis.
Neymar will return at the top of the tree. He left Barcelona for PSG after the Ligue 1 club met his buy-out clause of €222m. Neymar's departure from Camp Nou provoked Barcelona to embark on an expensive shopping spree: since he left the club, they have have parted with €389.5m to sign Dembélé and Coutinho.
Recommended in English
- FORMULA 1 Lewis Hamilton wants to see change in Saudi Arabia
- SOCIAL SECURITY What is an unrestricted Social Security card? How can I apply for it?
- NFL Bucs' Bruce Arians wants the NFL to look at other teams.
- LALIGA Barcelona vs Betis: times, TV and how to watch online
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What is the difference between an abortion pill and Plan B?
- SOCCER AC Milan defender Simon Kjaer out for the rest of the season after undergoing knee surgery