Iñaki Williams commits his long-term future to Athletic
The LaLiga club have tied the winger down to a contract that runs until 2025 and could see his release clause rise to €108million.
Iñaki Williams has put pen to paper on a mammoth seven-and-a-half-year contract extension with Athletic Club.
Williams' contract includes hefty buy-out clause
The 23-year-old winger was previously linked with a switch to Liverpool but has committed his long-term future to the Basque club, where he is now tied until 2025.
Williams' new contract includes a release clause of €80million that will progressively rise until it reaches €108m, figures which exceed the fee required to take star centre-back Aymeric Laporte away from Athletic.
The news will come a boost to fans with goalkeeper Kepa, whose deal expires at the end of the season, heavily linked with a move to Real Madrid.
"This is where I've grown up as a player and person"
"It's a happy day for me because I've extended my commitment to this badge for eight more years," said Williams on Twitter, "I've always said that I am where I want to be. This is where I've grown up as a player, but above all, as a person. I say as a person because those of us who belong to this club know that if there is one word that defines it, it's FAMILY, and you already know that family comes first for me."
Williams has featured in all 19 of the club's LaLiga outings this season, contributing four goals and three assists. He also scored twice as Athletic progressed to the knockout stages of the Europa League, where they will play Spartak Moscow in the last 32.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Robert Lewandowski's priority is Real Madrid
- QATAR 2022 What cities and stadiums will host the 2022 FIFA World Cup?
- PREMIER LEAGUE United's Pogba: 'We deserved to lose and need to find the problem'
- BARCELONA Dani Alves opens door for sensational Barcelona return
- NFL How does the salary cap of NBA teams work? Trades, extensions, minimum veteran salary
- MLB Houston Astros take Game 1 over Boston Red Sox in ALCS