"Deschamps knows my thoughts" - Lucas Hernández hints at France decision
The Atlético defender's international future is yet to be confirmed, but he may have given the clearest indication yet of choosing France over Spain.
Atlético Madrid defender Lucas Hernández has hinted at a forthcoming decision on his international future after claiming France coach Didier Deschamps "knows what I'm thinking".
Spain and France
The highly rated 21-year-old is eligible for both Spain and France, with both nations said to be eager for Lucas to declare for them. Although he – like younger brother and Real Madrid left-back Theo Hernández – was born in Marseille, Lucas has spent much of his life in Spain, initially joining the youth ranks of Rayo Majadahonda in 2005 before moving to Atlético two years later.
Lucas has represented France in most youth categories, including the Under-21s, though there has still been speculation as to whether or not he will pledge his senior international future to the country of his birth.
Clearest indication yet
However, he has perhaps given the clearest indication yet that France will indeed be the ones to benefit, as Lucas revealed he has spoken with national team coach Deschamps. "I am French, I have a French passport," he told AS.
"We are looking at things and it is in the hands of lawyers. I have to be calm. I've spoken to Deschamps and he knows what I think."
Lucas played the full match on Saturday as Atlético were held to a 1-1 draw by promoted Girona at the Wanda Metropolitano, rounding off a disappointing week which also saw them beaten 2-1 at home in the first leg of the Copa del Rey quarter-final by a Sevilla team who had been struggling for form.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?
- NBA NBA 20/21 season to feature 109 international players from 39 countries
- US NEWS Director of photography killed by a prop gun on set of Alec Baldwin movie ‘Rust’
- NBA Eagles' Jason Kelce offers his opinion on Ben Simmons saga
- NBA 76ers' Ben Simmons fails to train after complaining of a 'tight back'