Kepa closes the door on Madrid switch
Following months of uncertainty and a cold shoulder from Zidane, the Athletic keeper is set to pledge his future to the Basque club.
The situation surrounding Kepa Arrizabalaga's move to Real Madrid appears to have reached its conclusion.
Following months of speculation and finally a cold shoulder from Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane, the Spanish goalkeeper has decided to renew with Athletic Club in a deal which is due to be announced next week.
Team-mates and new deal
The renewal of a number of players at San Mamés, particularly Iñaki Williams, and the prospect of regular first-team football in a World Cup year are believed to have made up Kepa's mind to stay in the Basque Country. Moreover, from a Madrid perspective, Kepa's foot injury is also reported to be a decisive factor in the move stalling.
In a similar deal to Williams, Athletic are due to offer the shotstopper a lucrative deal and set a buy-out clause of €80m.
Recommended in English
- LIGA MX Atlas to face Pumas UNAM in the semi-final
- PRIMEIRA LIGA Covid-hit Belenenses SAD hammered by Benfica in forfeited game
- JUVENTUS Juventus confirm police probe into Serie A club's transfer dealings
- SOCCER Which players have won the most Ballons d'Or?
- BALLON D'OR When did Cristiano Ronaldo win his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats
- BALLO D'OR When did Messi win all of his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats