Kepa closes the door on Madrid switch
Following months of uncertainty and a cold shoulder from Zidane, the Athletic keeper is set to pledge his future to the Basque club.
The situation surrounding Kepa Arrizabalaga's move to Real Madrid appears to have reached its conclusion.
Following months of speculation and finally a cold shoulder from Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane, the Spanish goalkeeper has decided to renew with Athletic Club in a deal which is due to be announced next week.
Team-mates and new deal
The renewal of a number of players at San Mamés, particularly Iñaki Williams, and the prospect of regular first-team football in a World Cup year are believed to have made up Kepa's mind to stay in the Basque Country. Moreover, from a Madrid perspective, Kepa's foot injury is also reported to be a decisive factor in the move stalling.
In a similar deal to Williams, Athletic are due to offer the shotstopper a lucrative deal and set a buy-out clause of €80m.
Recommended in English
- TENNIS Osaka gives up AO crown: 'This is the biggest step, even though I lost'
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Nothing quite beats single leg cup football
- NFL NFL playoffs: Rams must score big to beat Brady and Bucs, says Stafford
- PREMIER LEAGUE Chelsea under Thomas Tuchel: a year on
- QATAR 2022 World Cup Qatar 2022, African Qualifiers play-off draw: how and where to watch, times, TV, online