Kepa closes the door on Madrid switch
Following months of uncertainty and a cold shoulder from Zidane, the Athletic keeper is set to pledge his future to the Basque club.
The situation surrounding Kepa Arrizabalaga's move to Real Madrid appears to have reached its conclusion.
Following months of speculation and finally a cold shoulder from Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane, the Spanish goalkeeper has decided to renew with Athletic Club in a deal which is due to be announced next week.
Team-mates and new deal
The renewal of a number of players at San Mamés, particularly Iñaki Williams, and the prospect of regular first-team football in a World Cup year are believed to have made up Kepa's mind to stay in the Basque Country. Moreover, from a Madrid perspective, Kepa's foot injury is also reported to be a decisive factor in the move stalling.
In a similar deal to Williams, Athletic are due to offer the shotstopper a lucrative deal and set a buy-out clause of €80m.
Recommended in English
- NFL | BEARS Bears coach Nagy relieved after snapping streak against Lions
- NFL Bills QB Allen demands 'pursuit of perfection'
- COPA LIBERTADORES Copa Libertadores final 2021: Palmeiras and Flamengo battle it out for South American title
- MANCHESTER UNITED Manchester Utd: Rangnick may beat Real Madrid to Haaland
- SOCCER When will AFC, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL & OFC teams qualify for World Cup inter-confederation play-offs?
- NBA How are the NBA's rookie class doing after one month?