El Kaabi: Atlético Madrid linked with CHAN 2018 top scorer
The Morocco striker scored nine goals in the African Nations Championship, and his club RS Berkane have revealed interest from Los Rojiblancos.
The African Nations Championship (CHAN) is known for providing little-known talent with the opportunity to impress scouts and earn a move from their domestic leagues to Europe or Asia. Morocco striker Ayoub El Kaabi - the top scorer at the recent 2018 edition of the tournament with nine goals - is likely to be the next player to fit that pattern.
El Kaabi could join Atleti in the summer
Abdel Majid Madrane - deputy president of RS Berkane - confirmed to Assabah that 'Atlético Madrid have expressed a desire to sign Ayoub El Kaabi', who scored in the final of CHAN as Morocco beat Nigeria 4-0 on Sunday. Madrane revealed that a Moroccan business agent based in Spain initiated the contact.
🏆🇲🇦 RECORD BREAKER 🇲🇦🏆— Morocco 2026 (@Morocco2026_EN) 6 February 2018
ICYMI: Ayoub El Kaabi claimed the record for most goals in a #CHAN2018 tournament, netting 9 times as #Morocco swept to victory
The #CHAN2018 Player of the Tournament is #ReadyFor2026, are you?#Morocco2026 pic.twitter.com/djTrHq9dR7
El Kaabi told Radio Mars "I am honoured that a club like Atletico Madrid has shown interest in me."
In the short-term, it is thought that El Kaabi's main aim is to make Hervé Renard's Morocco squad for the World Cup in Russia. That desire may lead him to remain in Morocco for the remainder of the season before moving to Spain in the summer.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $200 Social Security, tax return, Child Tax Credit, Golden State payment...
- NFL Cardinals 11 vs. 34 Rams summary: scores, stats and highlights | NFL Playoffs
- NFL Raiders part ways with general manager Mike Maycock
- NFL The insufferable Superb Owl jokes: a rant
- PACO GENTO 1933-2022 Real Madrid legend Paco Gento passes away aged 88
- AFCON Salima Mukansanga to lead all-female officiating AFCON line-up