Atlético's Diego Costa ruled out of Copenhagen trip
The Spain striker was not named in Diego Simeone's 20-player squad to play the Danish Superliga champions in the Parken Stadium on Thursday.
Atlético Madrid manager Diego Simeone named his squad to travel to Copenhagen for the opening leg of the Liga side's last-32 Europa League tie against the Danish champions with Diego Costa the most notable absence on his 20-player list.
The Spain striker is struggling with a muscle problem he picked up during Tuesday's training session and will not be risked in Denmark ahead of the visit of Athletic to the Metropolitano on Sunday.
Simeone also decided to leave Stefan Savic in Madrid as he continues to recover from a hamstring injury along with Nicolás Gaitán, who was left out by technical decision.
The Argentinean called up 20-year-old Atlético B central defender Antonio Montoro for the game after the youngster made his professional debut for the club in the 3-0 Copa del Rey victory over Lleida in January. Diego Godín is also included after being passed fit to play following his heavy knock with Valencia keeper Neto earlier this month, as a result of which the Uruguayan lost three teeth.
Atlético squad for Copenhagen
Keepers: Oblak, Moyá, Werner.
Defenders: Juanfran, Godín, Giménez, Filipe, Lucas, Montoro, Vrsaljko.
Midfielders: Correa, Saúl, Thomas, Gabi, Koke, Carrasco, Vitolo.
Forwards: Gameiro, Griezmann, Torres.
Te recomendamos en English
- RYDER CUP 2021 Ryder Cup 2021 full schedule: participants, match dates, and times
- NFL Panthers at Texans: Fantasy Start ‘ems and Sit ‘ems
- REAL MADRID Mbappé: 100 days until PSG star can negotiate with Real Madrid
- Nagelsmann on Rudiger to Bayern rumours: I'll have to see if I have any money in my wallet!
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth